Building Confidence by Practice is a part of Effective Public Speaking article published earlier.
Building Confidence by Daily practice of Speech
Practicing speech is as important as the preparation. For building confidence, you need to practice your speech daily.
There are various ways to get started to build confidence while speaking in public.
1) Grab every opportunity of speaking. When asked to summarize a thought or express your views just raise your hand and speak.
2) Practice bit by bit. First the introduction, then the body and the closure. This will not burden your mind and remove your fears of speaking in public.
3) Read famous speeches loud. This will increase your confidence of speaking in public.
4) Introduce yourself when you get a chance. This will drive away your fears of speaking in public and you know yourself better than anyone else. This will free your mind from any obstacles of data overload of remembering anything.
Have a practice session where everyone will introduce themselves.
Powerful Starting of speech
Powerful starting of speech is a good attention, catcher. It helps in drawing their minds towards your speech when they may be busy thinking about something else.
Ways to powerful start –
1) Startling Statement – Make a statement which catches the attention of the audience.
2) Suspense / Surprise – Start with a suspense building sentence then hit with a surprise. for ex – Its was a stormy night, it was my wedding day.
3) Story / Anecdote – Start Your speech by sharing a story. Create an imaginative world. It attracts the attention of the audience.
4) Use quotations to start your speech.
5) Ask Challenging questions
6) Complement the audience – You can complement them about the hospitality or any good work.
7) Occasion – You can speak something about the occasion. like an award night or marriage Anniversary.
8) Prop or visual – You can use an object to catch the attention of the audience. It can be used as a good introduction to the topic.
9) Previous Speaker – Pick on something from the previous speaker. It establishes your credibility and shows your interest towards others.
10) Engage the audience – Ask a question so that they are out of their comfort zone.
Powerful Closing of Speech
Don’t just say thank you, say something more to convey the message with full impact.
Concluding need to be powerful because without a powerful closure the enthusiasm fades.
There are many methods of closure –
1) Leave a remarkable message by quotations or anecdotes.
2) Close with a story so that the real meaning of the whole speech is conveyed.
3) You can close by summarizing your most important points and asking questions.
4) Leave a message which inspires and motivates the audience to action
5) Involve the audience and you can ask them to repeat the message you want to convey them.
6) You can ask them to applaud themselves and pat their back for their achievements.
7) You can end the speech with a laughter but if the subject is not appropriate conclude with a message.